Existing Welcome Waste Management Facility
About the Welcome Waste Management Facility
The Welcome Waste Management Facility is located in the Municipality of Port Hope, south of Highway 401 between Brand Road and Baulch Road. From 1944 until its closure in 1955, approximately 500,000 cubic metres of historic low-level radioactive waste has been stored at the facility from Eldorado’s former radium and uranium refining operations in Port Hope.
In October 2009, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL), which is the lead agency undertaking the Port Hope Project, was granted a Waste Nuclear Substance Licence by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) . This permitted AECL to assume responsibility for the Welcome facility on March 31, 2010. The facility had previously been operated by Cameco Corporation under a licence from the CNSC. At the same time, the Government of Canada acquired the 50-hectare property from Cameco.
The Welcome Waste Management Facility lands are the site of the future Port Hope long-term low-level radioactive waste management facility.
Current Facility Operations
AECL is responsible under licence to the CNSC to safely manage the facility including management of ground and surface water at the site which, once treated, is discharged to Lake Ontario via pipeline. AECL must ensure this treated water (effluent) meets CNSC regulatory requirements.
For the latest sampling results, please click here.
AECL’s responsibilities for the Welcome facility also include:
• Operation of treatment ponds and effluent discharge;
• Oversight of on-site environmental monitoring activities;
• Oversight of well water monitoring in the immediate vicinity of the site;
• Enhancement of security and other operational systems; and
• Regular reporting to the CNSC